Lectures and sermons in memory of the Baptist New Testament scholar George R. Beasley-Murray, addressing issues important to evangelical thought and ministry.
Trade Information: JPOD
Available as: Paperback, PDF
Specifications: 229x153mm (9x6in), 234pp
Published: March 2015
Published: March 2015
The Dr G.R. Beasley-Murray Memorial Lectures were delivered annually between 2002 and 2012 with the aim of extending the legacy of this significant New Testament scholar and church leader into the twenty-first century. Themes addressed include baptism, ministry, preaching, mission, and theological faithfulness. Having first been delivered at the annual Assembly of the Baptist Union of Great Britain, the lectures in this volume are now made available to a wider audience and will be of interest to church leaders across the denominations and across the world, and not least to those who stand in Beasley-Murray's own Baptist tradition. George Beasley-Murray died in 2000.
1. Fearless for Truth
2. "Faith-Baptism": The Key to an Evangelical Baptismal Sacramentalism
Anthony R. Cross
3. Preaching the Gospel and Liszt
Michael J. Quicke
4. New Humanity Church: A Biblical Model for Mission
5. A Missionary Union: Past, Present, and Future Perspectives
David R. Coffey
6. The Downgrade Controversy: Reflections on a Baptist Earthquake
7. Catholicity and Confessionalism: Responding to George Beasley-Murray on Unity and Distinctiveness
John E. Colwell
8. "Living like Maggots": Is Preaching Still Relevant in the Twenty-First Century?
Stephen R. Holmes
9. In Praise of Incompetence: Ministerial Formation and the Development of a Rooted Person
Ruth M.B. Gouldbourne
10. Renewing a Vision for Mission among British Baptists: Historical Perspectives and Theological Reflections
11. Sustaining Evangelical Identity: Faithfulness and Freedom in Denominational Life
Nigel G. Wright
Dr Nigel G. Wright is Principal Emeritus of Spurgeon's College where he was Principal from 2000 to 2013. A former President of the Baptist Union, his publications include The Radical Evangelical: Seeking a Place to Stand (1996), Disavowing Constantine: Mission, Church and the Social Order (2000), A Theology of the Dark Side (2003), and Free Church, Free State: The Positive Baptist Vision (2005).
Truth that Never Dies clearly demonstrates that ideas matter, and that the missional life of the people of God is nourished and empowered by the quality of its thinking. Roger Standing, Principal, Spurgeon's College, London